Pages

Thursday, December 8, 2011

Children's Grief



Children's Grief
How do we meet children's grief? Thought to leave this page a bit open for you to fill in and share your experiences of children in grief. There is not just one way, since grief have many faces and every child is unique.



I know many have read this which is posted in an other discussion. But since I find it such a brilliant example of how a 11-years old boy may handle his grief, I just have to share it here too




This song was played on the funeral and became afterwards ”our song”










" To take a break in the mourning..."



He was eleven years old. He lived with us for some time. One day his grandmother called me and said that his mother 29 years old suddenly had died. Suites from a drug abuse.



How do you tell such a thing to a child?



I don’t know exactly how.. but I did. We talked and cried together. A little while later I found him in front of the television playing some TV-game . He looked at me as if he could see my thoughts and sad in a calm a steady voice, still with tears in his eyes;

”You have to take a break in the mourning”



I will never forget these, his intelligent words, so wise for a child. Or on the contrary just a child can be so wise. This deep insight has helped me through many crises one of them when he himself, ten years later, became beaten to death on a street in another town.



He taught me in advance how you have to tackle grief to cope proceed. These words will live with me forever and I will always be grateful to him who taught me them. I hold his hand on the mothers funeral and on his own he hold mine…



With this story I give the floor to you ...

1 comment:

  1. Wha, what an strong words of wisdom”You have to take a break in the mourning”

    I needed these words to console me today as I have just come back after 2 days of eye test for my brother, who may be loosing his eye sight, I have been worried and sad for him.

    these words have consoled and touched me deeply.

    ReplyDelete